Re: writing iso image to blank dvd

On 12/06/2016 10:18 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 12/06/2016 11:08 AM, Rick Stevens wrote:
<snip>

>> To clarify my position, dd is NOT broken. Technically it NEVER should
>> have been able to write CDR (even with virgin or unfinalized media),
>> but the responsibility for blocking that is on the drivers for CDR and
>> DVDR devices, NOT dd (or cp or mv or any other "move data from A to B"
>> command). Those drivers are now behaving properly and blocking write
>> operations unless put into write mode first. Tools like growisofs are
>> specifically designed to do these operations by putting the driver into
>> write mode, doing the write operation and returning the driver to
>> read-only mode in one go. My apologies if I wasn't being clear about
>> this.
> If it is the drivers, it is a very unfortunate change and  highly
> undesirable.

To have the drivers behaving correctly is unfortunate? I don't mean
to be insulting here, but what bloody planet are you from? CD/DVD
drivers make the devices read-only by default (the full names are CD-ROM
and DVD-ROM after all). If the underlying hardware can support write
operations (which is an extension to their initial design), then you
should (and can) enable that by issuing the correct commands before
trying to write to them. You are doing special stuff, after all.

"dd" is not, and never has been, the appropriate tool for _writing_ CDR
or DVDR media reliably. The fact that you could exploit a hole in the
design of the drivers in the past to do it is irrelevant. Use the
correct commands and everything's fine. By your criteria, you'd be
upset if the "ping" command doesn't unmount your USB drive anymore
because it did in the past due to a bug in the ping command. Sheesh!

I'll stop my tirades now.