Re: writing iso image to blank dvd

On 12/06/2016 08:56 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 12/05/2016 01:58 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 12/05/2016 11:45 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>>> dd does not HAVE to know ANYTHING about the layout.
>>> The layout is the format of the iso file which was created by the fedora
>>> project for f24 desktop release.
>>> I am amazed at the lack of technical knowledge on the part of every
>>> respondent to this problem.
>>
>> Who said anything about layout?  The problem is that the drive needs
>> to be configured to the right mode and settings and there are extra
>> operations that need to be run before and after the data is written.
>> You complain about the "lack of technical knowledge", but do you have
>> any idea how cdrom drives work and the communication required with
>> them?  Try looking at the source code to growisofs or wodim.  A brief
>> look at the kernel source code suggests that it doesn't support
>> opening the device for writing unless there's a rewritable medium in
>> the drive, but I didn't look too closely.  I've wasted enough time
>> already on this topic...
> You must not have read the whole thread.
> And you are wrong about configuring the drive.
> the drive is rather new, and the media is BRAND NEW and undamaged.
> Thus the drive is detected and recognized at boot time.
> There is no other "mode" in question, as long as the drive has not been
> written to and already "sealed", meaning no new session can be created
> on it.
> You wre WRONG about "rewritable" too. It has to be only WRITABLE.

I don't believe we ever said anything about the media itself. The DRIVE
(and the driver code that manages it) has to be set to write mode by
sending specific ioctl()s to it. In the past, older versions of the
driver MAY enable write mode by default, but that is absolutely
incorrect and has been fixed in later versions (what's the purpose of
read-only media if you can write to it on a whim or by mistake?)

Once it the drive/driver combo is in the correct mode, THEN dd may be
able to write content to it. That being said, if the media doesn't have
a correct initial session written to it (lead-in) and a correct "close"
session (lead-out) written to it, it may not be readable by all
software. Some OS/hardware combos may be forgiving and permit partially-
closed CDs to be recognized, some may permit "sloppy" mounts by passing
off some special flags to the mount operation to allow the mount to
continue, but by no means will all OSes (or hardware) recognize the
media since, technically, the media is corrupt without these sessions.