Re: writing iso image to blank dvd

On 12/06/2016 09:40 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 12/06/2016 10:33 AM, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> You must not have read the whole thread.
>>> And you are wrong about configuring the drive.
>>> the drive is rather new, and the media is BRAND NEW and undamaged.
>>> Thus the drive is detected and recognized at boot time.
>>> There is no other "mode" in question, as long as the drive has not been
>>> written to and already "sealed", meaning no new session can be created
>>> on it.
>>> You wre WRONG about "rewritable" too. It has to be only WRITABLE.
>> I don't believe we ever said anything about the media itself. The DRIVE
>> (and the driver code that manages it) has to be set to write mode by
>> sending specific ioctl()s to it. In the past, older versions of the
>> driver MAY enable write mode by default, but that is absolutely
>> incorrect and has been fixed in later versions (what's the purpose of
>> read-only media if you can write to it on a whim or by mistake?)
> That cannot happen on media that are finalized.
> As far as whim or mistake - that would be no different than
> wiping out your home dir by whim or mistake.

However one knows that one's home dir is on read/write media. The
assumption is that CD and DVD is read-only and impervious (perhaps
naively) to write operations. With older drivers, this may not have
been the case.

Yes, finalized media should be unwritable, but I thought we were
talking about putting virgin (or unfinalized) media in a CDR/DVDR
drive and being able to write to it via dd or some other method without
preliminaries. I'm saying the newer versions of the drivers (if done
properly) will not permit that to happen. You must put the driver and
the hardware it controls into "writeable" mode first. Someone said dd
was "broken" because it couldn't write a CDR and they didn't want to
bother using (what I consider) the correct command to perform the
operation.

To clarify my position, dd is NOT broken. Technically it NEVER should
have been able to write CDR (even with virgin or unfinalized media),
but the responsibility for blocking that is on the drivers for CDR and
DVDR devices, NOT dd (or cp or mv or any other "move data from A to B"
command). Those drivers are now behaving properly and blocking write
operations unless put into write mode first. Tools like growisofs are
specifically designed to do these operations by putting the driver into
write mode, doing the write operation and returning the driver to
read-only mode in one go. My apologies if I wasn't being clear about
this.