Re: Bluetooth woes (again)

On 10/29/2015 09:30 PM, Doug wrote:

On 10/29/2015 11:03 PM, Tim wrote:
Allegedly, on or about 29 October 2015, Rick Stevens sent:
I've been using my Logitech kb/mouse combo for, hmmm, three years.
I've had to replace the batteries on them innumerable times (2xAA for
the kb, 2xAA for the mouse) but they get used heavily 12 hours a day.
That was one of my issues.  They don't seem designed for heavy use, just
occasional interaction.

I have to disagree, at least with this Logitech combo (I think it's
called the "Wave"). I beat the unholy crap out of these things for 12-14
hours a day and I've had very few issues other than the occasional
battery death at inopportune times. The desk change requiring the dongle
move was pretty painless once I figured out what was wrong (stuck the
dongle cradle under the desktop with some Velcro).

I don't have any personal need for a wireless keyboard, I nearly always
type at the same location, with a desktop computer:  You have a
collection of hardware that's always going to be there (computer,
monitor, speakers, etc.), anyway.

Me too, but I often find my desk is a dumping ground for oddball things
and a cord often becomes an issue (sometimes having electronics degrees
at a software firm is a "bad thing" :-)).

But a cordless mouse does seem useful, thanks to how the cables wrap
around things, then snag on something, though the battery and wireless
issues outweigh that inconvenience (I used a wireless one for years, so
it's bitter experience).  Long ago I saw what may be the best of both
worlds, and I must go looking again:  Essentially, the mouse pad is
plugged into the computer, and you have a cordless mouse that rides on
top of it (a bit like a Wacom tablet, but using a mouse instead of a
pen).  You get a cable free mouse, but don't need batteries, nor have to
deal with wireless issues.  The mouse pad is about as static on the desk
as a keyboard, so you don't have to deal with shifting cables getting
caught on things.

Yes, I don't know I'd ever use a corded mouse again if I'm given the
choice. The only gotcha is losing the dongle if you move around a bit.