Re: cpu at 99% by firefox

On 08/04/15 16:31, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 03:54:37PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> Btw, FF nightly now has a tracking protection feature that does the "no
>>> tracking" job of many of the privacy add-ons like Privacy Badger,
>>> Ghostery, Disconnect Me, etc.  They even have a menu option, both are
>>> still hidden inside about:config though.
>> Not sure what relevance that has to CPU usage.
> As I understood the topic was unusual CPU loads.  Since you mentioned
> adverts (considering they are often responsible for strange CPU loads),
> I thought I mention a feature FF will have in the future.  Tests by devs
> suggest the feature improves on CPU load and page load times
> significantly.

I see....

>>> Again, FF now has something called electrolysis (e10s), which makes it
>>> multi-threaded.  Not sure which versions of FF has the feature.  I find
>>> it is quite effective, but maybe a bit buggy.
>>>
>> Well, since Fedora doesn't distribute "nightly" and that e10s option doesn't exist on the fedora released version I don't know what relevance it has to the discussion.
> Again, I thought this was relevant for a discussion of CPU loads,
> specially after you pointed out the single-threaded nature of FF.  I
> just didn't know if the Fedora supplied version already has it.

I see.  Well, looking at the WiKi (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis/Roadmap) for this it seems it is nowhere near being ready for prime time and certainly not something Fedora releases.

What I was addressing in my earlier response was my current experience with FF in its present form as released by Fedora sans any extensions.   Personally I'm not looking for how future improvements may help since I don't expect I'll switching back to using it.  :-) :-)

--
If I wanted a blog or social media I'd go elsewhere