Re: cpu at 99% by firefox

On 08/04/15 07:45, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 05:10:45AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> My FF session usually has 100+ tabs open.  Sometimes I do get issues,
>>> but with sites with lots of scripts doing "smart" things.  FF usually
>>> prompts in such cases to stop the script.
>>>
>> At 100+ tabs I'm not surprised there would be issues.
> Actually I'm surprised that with so many tabs there are so few issues!

Yeah...  I have a system with a 4 core i5 and 8GB of RAM.

For the fun of it I fired up FF and opened up 50 tabs.  I purposely picked sites which have lots of adverts which get updated.  10 of those tabs were of a weather site which updates the data very frequently.

FWIW, I also had chrome running with 3 windows.  The main had 10 tabs open, a window in full screen mode watching a baseball game from mlb.com, and a window running the Slingbox app and playing TV from the US.

FF would generally run at 41~53%, sometimes as low as 27%.  However, it would spike to 120% at times when those 10 weather tabs decided they'd like to refresh around the same time.  Of course I could drive it higher by clicking on "reload all tabs".

The only "issue" I saw is that playing a video from youtube is choppy even though you can see from the progress bar that the video itself has been totally downloaded.  I suspect this is due to the single process threaded nature of the FF implementation.

The videos in the Chrome windows were running and rendering smoothly and in HD.

In summary, pretty much what I would expect.

--
If I wanted a blog or social media I'd go elsewhere