Re: Where is a Camera Mount Point?

On 10/25/2014 01:31 PM, poma wrote:
On 25.10.2014 03:19, poma wrote:
On 25.10.2014 02:09, poma wrote:
On 25.10.2014 01:31, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 10/25/2014 01:09 AM, poma wrote:
On 24.10.2014 07:50, Stephen Morris wrote:
I have plugged a digital camera into my usb port and mounted it using
the popup displayed from the auto detect via konqueror (this annoys me
as well). When konqueror is launched it displays the contents via
Camera:/ which is okay, but subsequently I can't find any entries under
/run that represent the camera. I assumed there would be a mount point
under /run like there is for a usb flash disk. Given that there appears
to not be a mount point under /run, where is it mounted in Fedora 20, so
that I can point dolphin (which is what should be launched from the
'Open with File Manager' prompt, not Konqueror) at the mount point
rather than having to manually type Camera:/ into the address bar.
ptp != usb_storage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/

modinfo -d usb_storage
USB Mass Storage driver for Linux
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/plain/drivers/usb/storage/Kconfig

poma

Thankyou for the links. I looked at those links which gave me a lot more
information that I didn't know about. Unfortunately the documentation on
libphoto2 seems to potentially be self conflicting. The list of cameras
that libphoto2 supports seems to have my Nikon D3100 listed, but the
list of cameras and how they are supported under Unix does not appear to
list my camera.
Following Cameron's email I checked the mount list which seems to
indicate there is no mount point, which also coincides with the
available device interface in the system tray not being able to unmount
the camera before disconnection.
Also now that I have changed to application preference order in the
properties of the folder displayed by dolphin, whenever I select 'Open
with File Manager' at device detection time the process correctly
launched dolphin to display the contents, whereas yesterday when
konqueror was the default application, manually pointing dolphin at
Camera:/ would not display the contents of the camera because dolphin
was trying to treat the camera as a usb device and couldn't acquire the
usb. The only issue with dolphin is it doesn't display the folder name
where the images are stored on the camera as the same name that the
camera says it is, dolphin seems to be putting its own prefix on the
folder name.
Also dolphin seems to be starting at a higher point in the directory
tree for its displays than where Windows starts.
DigiKam now seems be displaying the files on the camera now as well,
whereas yesterday it couldn't either, although digiKam doesn't
understand the raw format files that I am taking with the camera. I
could use jpeg images but that is not as good for image manipulation and
corrections as raw is. I can process these files using the raw interface
to Photoshop Elements and Elements itself, albeit under windows, so not
being able to access these under Linux is not that big a deal to me,
other than the fact that I have to use Windows.

regards,
Steve

Does the Nikon D3100 supports USB mass storage mode?
http://goo.gl/7bGFuh

In this respect manual(D3100_EN.pdf) is questionable
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/dslr-cameras/D3100.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Support

Therefore you can try this *if* the device supports both - PictBridge(PTP) & USB storage, and they collide:

/etc/modprobe.d/usb_storage-quirks-Nikon_D3100.conf
# Nikon D3100
#
# lsusb
# ID 04b0:0130 Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4600 (ptp)
# ID 04b0:0427 Nikon Corp.
# modinfo -p usb_storage
# ...
# quirks:supplemental list of device IDs and their quirks (string)
#
# 1.
options usb_storage quirks=04b0:0130:i
#
# 2.
# options usb_storage quirks=04b0:0427:i
#
# 3.
# options usb_storage quirks=04b0:0130:i,04b0:0427:i
#
# *uncomment* only *one* of the three *options* that you'll *use* as the first case!

Ref.
- https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
..
	usb-storage.quirks=
			[UMS] A list of quirks entries to supplement or
			override the built-in unusual_devs list.  List
			entries are separated by commas.  Each entry has
			the form VID:PID:Flags where VID and PID are Vendor
			and Product ID values (4-digit hex numbers) and
			Flags is a set of characters, each corresponding
			to a common usb-storage quirk flag as follows:
				i = IGNORE_DEVICE (don't bind to this
					device);
			Example: quirks=0419:aaf5:rl,0421:0433:rc

- https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt

- USB: add Nikon D300 camera to unusual_devs
   https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h?id=0047ca0

BTW
- Nikon D3100 specifications
   http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/page2.asp
   Connectivity    • USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed)
                   • Mass storage / PTP selectable

- Digikam support Nikon D3100
   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.digikam.user/14517

Xfce
- USB storage
$ thunar /run/media/user/</dev/disk/by-uuid/>/

- MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
$ thunar mtp://[usb:<bus>,<devnum>]/

- PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)
$ thunar gphoto2://[usb:<bus>,<devnum>]/

Good luck with reading and playing with the device. :)

poma

Ref.
Mailing list
https://www.digikam.org/contact?q=support#mailinglists
Thanks for all the info Poma, there is some very useful information in those links. Even though the links say the camera is switchable between the 2 modes I'm not sure whether it is manually switchable. The manual and camera itself don't have any details on how to do it. It seems as though it may be automatically switchable depending on the access mechanism. Under linux it seems to be accessed via PTP but under Windows (I'll need to double check this) it seems to be accessed in USB Mass Storage mode as it seems to be mounted as a USB device. I was able to remove files from the SD card on the camera using dolphin and digiKam was able to access the files directly by auto navigating down to the appropriate directory, but GIMP was unable to touch the camera at all.

regards,
Steve

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Morris