Re: Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

On 09/24/2014 09:47 PM, Tim wrote:
Tim:
But how is that any different from the wall socket?  Any powerboard
that cannot handle the full load that could be plugged into a wall
socket shouldn't be sold.
Rick Stevens:
Completely different certifications, construction and materials. Wall
sockets have to be certified by UL and several government agencies (at
least in the USA). Devices that plug into outlets only have to meet
what they're labeled as supporting (and often don't even do that).
Take a careful look at the VA (wattage) rating of an extension cord or
outlet strip. Often they don't support the full wall socket rating. In
the USA, that's about 1800VA or 1270W (120VAC, 15A) and the same is
probably true of a lot of powerboard units.
Might explain some of the crap chinese powerboards we see on sale, these
days.  Until recently, in my country, Australia, you'd find the
powerboards were mostly the same mechanical construction as the wall
sockets.  They have the same electrical rating, but the grip on the plug
pins is getting really crappy.

Here, wall sockets are 240 volts, 10 amps (2400 watts).  And powerboards
are all the same.  You can connect that total into the one object.
Likewise with extension cords.  It'd be a really bad idea to sell any
that were underrated, and I've never seen one (probably for that
reason).

We only have to worry about people plugging too much in at once (e.g. an
electric kettle, a toaster, and a room heater).

I'm in Australia too. The electronic store I bought the powerboard from tells me that a 2000W room heater, which draws 8.3 amps, if plugged in to a powerboard will weaken the surge protector and destroy the circuits, which probably explains why the surge protector kept tripping when the heater had been in use for some time.

Using XBMC on my media player to stream movies from my NAS over wireless seems to have all sorts of lag issues, both with buffering every 30 seconds or so and sound being out of sync with the video, but streaming movies from the net over wireless seems to be working with more success. I don't think this issue is the NAS or router as using XBMC in Fedora 20 to stream the same movies from the NAS over wireless to my desktop computer doesn't have any issues.

I'm going to try some homeplug devices to see if that provides any better streaming capability. I'm going to attempt to purchase some today, so I may be able to test them out tonight after my wife finished watching TV.

I also have some queries around XBMC installed on Fedora 20 that I have installed from the same repository I get the nvidia proprietary drivers from. On my media player XBMC offers NFS as a data source from videos, but on my computer in Fedora XBMC offers everything but NFS, even though Fedora supports NFS as I have my NAS device mounted under NFS. Does anyone know why XBMC on Fedora isn't offering NFS as a source? The version of XBMC I have installed is the 64 bit XBMC 13.2, which I understand is the latest stable version before Kodi becomes available.

regards,
Steve

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Morris