Re: Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 06:56 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:
      Thankyou for your responses. I probably need some more
assistance
on these.
      I have minidlna installed already but haven't been able to
figure
out how to use it.
      I have also been told that XBMC to XBMC streaming is not a godd
idea, how valid is that?
      Also, like Miracast under Windows, doesn't Linux have to be able
see the device before any of the mentioned package can stream to it?
(Insert standard comment about not top-posting.)

IIRC getting minidlna to work was trivial. I seem to remember some minor
editing of the config file to set up directories to serve from, then
starting it via systemd. It starts automatically on boot so in the worst
case if you restart your system it should just happen. You may also need
to open port 8200 (the default) if you firewall is blocking it.

Also, I suspect you may be labouring under a misconception: you don't
stream media to your remote device, the device streams media *from* the
server (using the DLNA protocol). You don't have to tell the server what
the device is. It will just stream to any device on the LAN that can
find it. I can stream to my phone or tablet without any further setup
other than installing a suitable app.
Thanks Patrick. I was assuming Linux was the same as Windows. Under Windows having done the necessary steps to ensure that Windows can see the wireless device, I have to start the app I want to stream from as setting up Miracast using the built in interface won't work unless the app is running (and it only works with the built in video player, it doesn't work with mediaplayer), I then have to select the device charm to tell miracast that I want to project to an external screen only (this is so the video doesn't play on the pc screen as well), then I have to select the device charm again and select Play which then prompts for which of the devices it can see I want to stream to, and then once I select the android smart player the video appears to be then streamed to the device and appears on the TV using whatever of the multiple players on the device is its default. Some of my issues may be my modem/router not being good enough for streaming as well. When I try to get the device to play a video directly of my NAS device over wireless the playback stops every thirty seconds and buffers, but if I put the flash disk that the video came from into the device and play the video from there it plays fine without any buffering.

regards,
Steve

poc

begin:vcard