Re: Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 11:09 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:
> > Note that my comments were on using DLNA. Miracast is different (and
> > pretty much as you describe it) since it's focussed on screen
> mirroring
> > which is not the same concept. My TV supports Miracast and I can
> mirror
> > my phone or tablet to the big screen, something I haven't attempted
> > do in Linux. If that's what you really want to do then ignore what I
> > said earlier, but you should consider if it is in fact what you want
> > do. If you just want to watch videos it may not be.
> Miracast is not what I really wanted to use but under windows that
> was
> the only process that seemed to work, as when I configure mediaplayer
> for streaming it doesn't get to the player, plus everybody I talk to
> here are telling me that if I am using windows I should be using
> Miracast. I figured Linux was similar, but I using wireless for
> streaming and didn't want dlna streaming to be picked up by dlna
> receivers by next door neighbors if that was at all possible.

Well, they're wrong. Use Miracast if you want to throw your Windows
screen onto a TV, say for a presentation. If you want to use your
computer to serve videos (or audio for that matter) to one or more
clients then you need to run a server package. I'm absolutely 100%
certain you can do this in Windows as well, in fact some of the most
popular solutions are cross-platform. There's a list of them on
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streaming_media_systems

A popular one is Plex, which runs on Win, Mac and Linux and has a whole
bunch of other features. I didn't need anything so full-featured, so I
opted for minidlna which is simple to set up.

Keeping the neighbours out is just standard network practice: use a
decent WPA password on the router, and keep a tight control on incoming
connections via the server firewall. IIRC the server config can also
restrict clients to certain IPs though I haven't bothered with that.

> >> Some of my issues may be my modem/router not being good enough for
> >> streaming as well. When I try to get the device to play a video
> >> directly
> >> of my NAS device over wireless the playback stops every thirty
> >> seconds
> >> and buffers, but if I put the flash disk that the video came from
> >> into
> >> the device and play the video from there it plays fine without any
> >> buffering.
> > I have my NAS device and TV connected via Gigabit Ethernet to
> Gigabit
> > ports on my router. I would only use Wifi for video streaming if I
> had
> > no other option.
>  From my perspective I don't necessarily have any other option. I
> have
> my NAS connected to my modem/router/voip phone device, but not by
> gigabit even though the NAS ethernet is gigabit, because the router
> doesn't have a gigabit port (I can upgrade the router from my isp
> which
> now have a device that has gigabit ports). As the device is also my
> home
> phone, the device is situated next to the phone socket which is in a
> remote room, hence I have to use wireless unless I run cables along
> the
> ceiling or floor between rooms. I potentially could put a range
> extender
> next to the Smartmedia Player and connect the player to the extender
> by
> ethernet, but is that really any different to having the player
> accessing the NAS over wireless?

Giga Ethernet is nice but not really necessary, however real Wifi
end-to-end bandwidth is so vulnerable to factors such as other users,
signal reflections, attentuation etc. that it's always going to be the
least desirable option. And Wifi range extenders are a waste of money
unless you're very lucky (I haven't had good results from them), not to
mention halving your bandwidth.

For fixed stations a much better alternative is Powerline Ethernet (the
standard spec is called HomePlug). They can be had for around $100-$150
for a pair, and use the house wiring to distribute the signal from your
router. They work quite well (YMMV of course). The better ones include a
Wifi access point on the remote side so they effectively act as a local
hotspot.

poc