Re: Is it irrelevant what users of FOSS think? (Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?"))

On 2014-03-28 03:20, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Hi

On 2014-03-26 03:12, Suvayu Ali wrote:

It is Fedora policy to not do that:

    <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Philosophy>

I know this and I don't like it when there is a broken package in use on
Fedora with submitted bug reports related to the broken features.  This is
why I would like to see it changed.

That really depends on the importance of the broken features vs the risk of
changes introducing new problems.  You should recognize that trade-off.  If
a fix can be provided in a targeted way, there is no need to change any
policy here.  It cannot be a free for all type of deal

Rahul

In the long run, I agree with you on this matter.

When a feature that is used is broken, even to the point an application crashes, and the fix requires the new version, then it is in issue in the usability of Fedora. This has been my biggest complaint over the years. I am finding this with some applications on F20 that I have used in the past. In some cases, it isn't even a full version update but a 0.1 update that is refused.

From an application issue, it shouldn't affect other programs or applications at all as the build is based on the libraries that are already there.

I can agree on changing a library or other main base for the rest of Fedora as the issues can be a major problem.

Program like pam_mount when security could be compromised are also important to see fixed. I ran into this some years ago with encrypted home/[user] directories. I couldn't get any support upstream because the Fedora version used was to old, even though the current version or Fedora was the latest.

In the past, in order to get a working application, I have even downloaded the source code and compiled it to continue working. I need to learn how to rebuild rpm's but I never seem to have the time.

You and I are not going to change this.

Robin