Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> One of the weaknesses of Fedora, in my view,
> is the apparent lack of interest in what users actually want or need.

+1

> For example, what proportion of users choose KDE or Gnome,
> or some other Desktop Environment?
> Does anybody know?
> Suppose it turned out that far more use KDE than Gnome.
> Would that not suggest that KDE should be made the default?

I`d rather see choices.  There still can be a default, and it doesn`t
matter what it is: Just give the user choices when installing and
afterwards.  One user might want to install gnome and kde and xfce and
whatever else there is to try them out.  Another one may already know
that they want gnome.  I already know that I don`t want a graphical
login and fvwm.  Where is that choice?  Why do we have to somehow figure
out how to get what we want only after the install, when it`s kinda too
late?

Just think of all the time and resources wasted with downloading things
we don`t need ...

> Again, how many are installing on a machine that is already
> partitioned? Suppose (my guess) it is something like 90%. Would it not
> be more rational in that case to assume as default that users would
> prefer to use that partitioning?

No.

The capacity required for /usr has increased over time.  Same goes for /
or /boot.  Some people may want to keep an existing system and need an
option in the installer to shrink some partitions to make room.  Some
people may install on a (new) computer they were unable to get without
something pre-installed, and they don`t like whatever partitioning was
used for that.  Others may have upgraded their hardware and have added a
few disks, and now they want to use the additional capacity and need to
move their /home partition, and this kind of upgrade and change may be
the reason that they think they can as well re-install.  Others plugged
in a(n old) disk they had sitting around because they want to use it to
try out Fedora, and the partitioning of that disk has been made a long
time ago for, let`s say, Debian.

You can as well --- or even more reasonably --- assume that it is most
unlikely that someone wants to use an existing partitioning as the
default when installing.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)