Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

On 2014-03-23 13:49, Powell, Michael wrote:
Then they need to turn around at once!  Leaving users in the dark
about what`s going on makes things more difficult for them.  Taking
away choices limits the use of the software to the point where it
eventually becomes unusable.

Good design, clarity, good documentation and letting the user know
what choices there are are required when you want to achieve ease
of use.

I don't think the installer is as bad as most people on this list are
complaining about; it's certainly not leaving any users in the dark.
A large majority of the information from the older installer is still
there, it's just up to the user to seek it out.

It is leaving some people in the dark. I have use Red Hat/Fedora since RH4 and have found that the recent changes to the installation routine is a real pain if you don't want LVM and the default install.

It took multiple attempts to find the path to manually partition the drive the way I wanted.

I have now installed F20 on 4 different machines. 3 from clean installs and one with fedup. Two with Windows dual boot.

I have shown people at work how to manually partition using F18 and up. One person installed F14 on a machine because it was what he had at the time and new how to manually partition the drive.

The problem is having the user seek it out. There could be a simple option for the default partitioning or custom in a much clearer instruction. I must have cancelled multiple installs with the new installer trying to find the correct install method.

Robin