Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)

Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 23 March 2014 19:08, lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:15:03 +0100
>>> lee wrote:
>> Now someone tell me how I get virtual desktops with gnome or kde to
>> which I can switch by just moving the mouse pointer over the edge of the
>> screen?  How do I get a pager as I have with fvwm with gnome or kde?
>> Where is the configuration file for defining my key bindings, menues,
>> window decorations ...?
>>

> kde: System Settings | Workspace Behaviour | Screen Edges | Other
> Settings | Switch desktop on edge (Disabled/Only when moving
> windows/Always Enabled).
> Also, System Settings | Workspace Appearance for appearance changes,
> Shortcuts and Gestures for...

That`s way more complicated than EdgeScroll 100 100.  And what about
gnome?  I looked for it and didn`t even find a way to adjust the number
of virtual desktops (or only that), let alone focus follows mouse and
moving over the screen edges.

> Compiz. Which did compositing (and didn't really need massive
> resources so much as graphics hardware support).

People seemed to worry a lot about it.

> Had some nice and genuinely useful features which have not carried
> over to newer WMs which have adopted compositing.

Features like?  It doesn`t have them anymore?

> Though the cubes themselves were pretty cosmetic it was the same
> technology also that also let you view all desktops live when
> switching.

Hm, why would I want to do that?  I have currently 6x6 and they would be
too small to see anything.

> KDE does not do true tiling (Compiz did).

Fvwm doesn`t, either, but I have some entries in the menu that tile some
windows on the current desk.  It works much better than a tiling WM like
i3.

> It does do pining, which is what the pin button at the top left of
> each window does.

You mean sticky floating windows?  I3 is really nice, but it doesn`t do
that, and I sometimes need them ...

> And keyboard shortcuts for desktop changes (thought the default is
> Ctrl+F1-4 rather than ctrl+alt and arrow).

Ah yes, and those didn`t always work because everything had a key
binding and they would conflict with each other ...  That doesn`t happen
with fvwm, they just work.

Many default key bindings are very useless to me because I use my
trackball with my left hand, and I have a German keyboard which has an
AltGr key on the right rather than an Alt key there.  So I need key
bindings I can use with my right hand.

And neither with kde, nor gnome you can even have the scroll bars on the
left side where they belong :(  Kde is at least capable, but when you do
that, the menu entries inevitably move over to the right where they
don`t belong and it gets even more awkward than it already is.  Most X11
apps do it just fine, seamonkey does it --- and I think emacs too, but I
turned them off.

Note for Fedora.next: Please make the scroll bars finally configurable
and provide a way to switch the key bindings so that they can be used
with the right hand ...

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)