Re: F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

On 01/03/2014 09:56 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
 > > $ journalctl SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER=CROND -f  #filtered for convenience
 >
 > How do you know which IDENTIFIER to use?  I could guess it should be
 > CROND if I were to look at the output of journalctl in this case; but is
 > there any canonical way to find this out?  Or is it just the unit file
 > name?

I picked that by looking at the messages and pairing up the identifier
with my messages. It's reasonable to assume this will be consistent for
cron jobs, so I didn't demonstrate that part.

It should perhaps be added that jounralctl has auto completion. Write jounralctl and press tab twice to see what you can use, type 'journalctl SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER=' and press tab twice, and you can see what to use there.

With auto completion I see crond, CROND, and crontab. (None of these will give me the output from cron by the way.) What is the difference between crond and CROND?

`journalctl -o verbose' gives the extra metadata. There are other output
formats, ie json, but this seemed most useful here.

Thanks, that answered my question in the earlier mail from me.

key.  There is a section in the System Administrators Guide on the
journal, which I will probably update this weekend since the usage is
newly fresh in my mind.  It won't be published for f20 immediately, but
I can push a draft if anyone is interested in reviewing. (Hint, readers,
speak up, or I won't do the extra work)

OK, count me in... Could be a good way to get to know that system a bit better.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/