Re: what has 'yum update' done?

Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On 07/11/2013 01:27 PM, lee wrote:
>> I have been assuming that people re-install because their experience is
>> that upgrading is so troublesome that they figure that they're better
>> off re-installing.  Why would anyone go to the lengths of re-installing
>> if there weren't very serious problems with upgrading?
>
> Yes, but is their experience recent enough to matter?  If they tried
> to upgrade using the earliest version of preupgrade, had problems and
> decided never to try again, how relevant is that, especially when
> preupgrade's been replaced with fedup?  Unless you know that, you have
> no way to judge their advice.

Yes, you never know what really happened when hearing about other
peoples experience.  That's why it works differently: You don't need to
examine a particular persons experience in detail --- many times it
won't even be possible to learn more about it.

What you can find instead is only if there is some agreement about
something or not.  You can take that into account or not and then decide
what you will do.

In this case, even when you get detailed facts about someones experience
with upgrading Fedora, it still doesn't tell you if it's going to work
for you or not unless that someone happens to use exactly the same hard-
and software and has made exactly the same customizations.  Since it's
very unlikely that there is such a someone, you can only try it for
yourself, and that's what I'm going to do.

Other than that, you can have facts, at least to some extend.  There
hasn't been anyone yet saying that they have had their boot manager
changed in any way or not when running 'yum update'.  It's somewhat
frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any information available, and
it doesn't seem very likely that running 'yum update' magically goes
wrong in such a weird way without even the slightest indication of a
problem when running it.

Do they keep some sort of list of changes when updating the repos?
There must be some way to find out what changed when new versions of
packages are made available.

--
Fedora 18