Re: what has 'yum update' done?

On 07/10/2013 03:06 PM, lee wrote:
When upgrading Fedora the way it's recommended works so well, then how
come that people are suggesting that it's better/easier to re-install or
to use an alternative, untested method?

There are always going to be people who prefer to start fresh with a clean install of every version, and some of them are going to recommend it to others, often without explaining why they prefer it. The same goes for just about any method that can be used to go from one version to the next. Have you ever considered asking these people why the don't like using the official upgrade path? I know that I certainly would before taking their advice, and I'd think long and carefully about their reasons, because I understand that what works right for them may be exactly the wrong thing for me if my circumstances don't match theirs.

Not knowing why upgrading didn't work last time and why merely updating
went wrong now is fine to begin with.  However, I'd like to know why
things went wrong, and I would gladly contribute to finding out why and
how they went wrong so that things can be improved upon.

Have you checked Bugzilla to see if there are any reported bugs with effects similar to yours? If there aren't, have you considered reporting this? If you haven't checked, why not? (This isn't a challenge, BTW, but a serious question; you may have good reasons not to be doing this, and if so, I might learn something from them.)