Re: Fedora 18 existing /usr partition -- need to merge into rootfs?

Am 01.04.2013 14:47, schrieb Noah Cutler:
> Hey all.
>
> I'm confused over the whole separate /usr partition is broken thing:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>
> From an email in current fedora-user thread we have:
> "That should not be necessary.  And would break a very normal system
> setup of using separate drives, *even more so than the blasted can't have
> a separate /usr thing that happened recently*."
>
> During Fedora 18 fresh install with custom partitioning chosen, Anaconda
> autocompletes mount points so I went with /boot, /, /user, /var, and /home
> partitions.
>
> Everything appears to work swimmingly here after 1 month of use -- separate /usr
> partition does not appear to be broken...anymore??
>
> Just trying to future proof my setup; if it's better to merge /usr into rootfs,
> so be it, better to do it early days with the new system.
>
> Otherwise, if someone can chime in here with some sage partitioning advice as to
> how to proceed moving forward with Fedora, that would be much appreciated.
>
> FWIW, as a beginner the benefits I see in a diverse micro-managed partitioning
> scheme (vs. the mega partition) is being able to fsck quickly; clone partitions
> quickly (e.g. copy to additional disks), and prevent runaway logs and the like
> (there are likely others).
>
> I'm thinking something like this would be "ideal" for a 256GB SSD:
> |
> /dev/sda1 /boot 181MB of 500MB
> /dev/sda2 / 606MB of 3GB |
> |
> extended:
> /dev/sda4 /usr 6.0GB of 12GB
> /dev/sda5 /var 1.5GB of 8GB
> /dev/sda6 /home 15GB of 30GB|
> free space the rest
>
> Of course most seem to go with /boot / and /home, so my ideas are likely not
> grounded in reality ;-)

A separate /usr works fine in Fedora, because it is mounted from within the
initramfs, before we switch to the real root.

Quoting: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
*Going Forward*
There is no way to reliably bring up a modern system with an empty /usr. There
are two alternatives to fix it: move /usr back to the rootfs or use an initramfs
which can hide the split-off from the system.

Fedora uses an initramfs to boot and the initramfs explicitly mounts /usr, if it
finds a mount entry in /etc/fstab of the real root.

No fstab.sys and dracut tricks should be needed here. If /usr is not mounted
automatically it's a dracut bug, or you are missing some disk assembly kernel
command line options like rd.luks.uuid=... rd.lvm.lv=.. or rd.md.uuid=...