Re: NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

On 18/11/12 02:19, Tim wrote:
Seemingly network-related prolonged bootup times could be down to
several issues.  Just to mention some of them:

Name resolution - something is trying to resolve a name (e.g. the
machine's own hostname), but can't because name resolution isn't
working, or the network isn't up for it to access the name server.

Or, for systems where the name resolution will be done on the same
machine, the network isn't up, yet, and things are waiting for the
network to come up before they start working, even if they don't need to
make external access.  They're just waiting for the network to come up.
And those waiting things hold up the boot process.

   It turned out that this was an unwarranted fear, the slower computer
   still boots in 46 seconds this morning after modifications to
   eliminate NetworkManager, while this one unmodified, comes up a
   little faster.

   In retrospect, the worst problems I had with boot times occurred
   after changes to permit booting with "startxfce4" instead of the
   graphic boot. I gave up trying to change that as the path of least
   resistance. I can put up with that useless [to me] feature.

   As for the result of my effort I think I prefer operation with
   NetworkManager for the convenience of control it provides. I would
   like to be able to setup /etc/resolv.conf as I want it including the
   the line for options "options timeout:1 attempts:1. That can be
   dealt with using "chattr +i." I will probably leave NM in place with
   the next Fedora installation.

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7