Re: NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

On 16/11/12 11:52, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
Ah, the options line.  Might be worth filing an RFE on Bugzilla or
joining the NetworkManager list and proposing adding the capability to
include lines other than nameserver and search.  That does seem like it
would be useful.

>     I find it a lot less confusing to set-up resolv.conf with a text editor!
If that's your preference, then you should certainly avoid
NetworkManager and NetworkManager should certainly be able to play nice
with you (at least IMHO).  The network service and including
NM_CONTROLLED="no" in the appropriate ifcfg-xxx file ought to work the
way you want. If it doesn't, then it would be most useful for you to
file bugs.  If you have NM_CONTROLLED="no" and you still have the
problem, it's possible that the network service is causing your problem,
not NetworkManager.

One thing is, I don't think system-config-network knows how to handle
all the wireless security modes.  It also doesn't have space for options
for resolv.conf.

   Ah, but my LAN is wired as far as NetworkManager is concerned. As I
   said I just use it because it's there in the installed system.
   Everything connects to the wireless LAN via "Ethernet Bridges." Once
   configured for the network you can put them anywhere in range of the
   router and just plug in a computer, printer, TV camera, whatever, it
   looks like a wired network.

   The old system-config-network was better for my purposes but
   attempts to remove NM have caused extremely long "boot" times each
   time I've tried that. It would increase from the present thirty
   seconds or so to several  minutes. I shut down at night and if I
   only reboot once it's a minor annoyance but if I do something that
   requires a reboot it becomes a major pain! That's probably the real
   reason I still use NM, the removal is messy.

Also, there may be other commands that can be added to the ifcfg-xxx
file.  Not sure where that's documented, but I see lots of options in
the various WiFi-network-specific ifcfg-xxx files
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7