Re: iptables fubared?

On 10/07/2012 04:27 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 10/07/2012 01:17 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
On 10/07/2012 04:03 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 10/07/2012 12:43 PM, jdow wrote:
Eddie and Joe, there is nothing more frustrating than being in a
critical
hurry while a first string tech support guy rigidly follows the "is it
plugged in" script.

Yup!  That's why I always make sure that the member of the phone
firewall knows that I have ample experience on their side of the phone
and ask them to give me the same level of support they'd want if they
were calling in.  More often than not, all goes well after that.
I agree with both of you, yes it seems that sometimes the helpdesk tech
is just "going through the motions" and isn't really interested in
helping you at all....they're just there for the pay check. Then you
have those "gifted & talented" few......(The ones I like to call the
"Scotty's" of IT. and if any of you have ever watched the original
series of Star Trek you'd realize to whom I'm referring!)

It's not so much a matter of only going through the motions, it's more that most of the hell-desk droids and PFYs don't actually know anything about the tech and all they're able to do is parrot the cheat-sheets. Now, you'd be surprised what a good tech can do with cheat-sheets; I used to get people telling me that it's plain that I must love Macs because I know so much about them. Imagine their surprise when I told them that I've never in my life so much as touched one and was working strictly from a cheat-sheet. Of course, it helped that I understood what was going on and why we were doing things, but I never mentioned that little bit of info to the callers.

And, as far as Scotty goes, yes, I do remember the Original Star Trek, first run. I also know Bjo Trimble, the woman who was responsible for us getting the third season.

Amen to THAT...and God Bless her for it!...(I used to run home from school to catch the episodes of it on Channel 5!.......(show's my TRUE age huh!?....)

EGO II