Re: iptables fubared?

On 2012/10/07 10:46, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
On 10/07/2012 01:27 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 10/07/2012 10:04 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
.I HATE help-desk.

I spent over seven years doing tech support for an ISP.  I stuck with it
because I found out that I enjoyed the problem solving (and was better at it
than at least 90% of my cow-orkers.) and liked the idea that at least 15 to 20
people's days were better because they spoke to me.  Lots of job satisfaction
if you look at it the right way.  To each their own.
I agree......this goes along with him not liking administration. I would feel
honoured to be the guy who's in the background....not really "known"....but
reliable as heck.....getting things done behind the scenes.....and while being
the "voice" of the tech support might be a good fit for some.....I'd rather be
the "hands in the dark" that do thing without the users knowledge. I prefer
working in an admin capacity, only because there's an impetus to be daring, and
to be able to test things before they go into production.....I don't
know.....maybe it's just that because of the "abuse" I've suffered at the hands
of those relentless users who feel that because you're on the other end of the
phone.....that they can treat you like trash and not have to pay for it......I
mean I realize that sometimes it's just frustration brought on because of them
not being able to "do" something.....but I mean really......why yell and scream
at the one person who's trying everything in their power to make your life
easier?...it almost doesn't make sense to me......if you were about to go under
the knife with a surgeon....would you threaten him with statements about his job
is on the line?...and you'll take this to his superior if he screws up?...I
seriously doubt it! And I'm not ignorant of the fact that there's still some
form of interaction between network / system admins and other people.....but
generally speaking....a VP of accounting will not approach the net admin
person....the;ll more likely go looking for the person whom they ALWAYS approach
with their technical problems....which is more likely to be a Tech Support Team
Lead.....the "face" of the IT dept......ok I think I've ranted on long enough,
I'm sure you all get the picture...LoL!

Eddie and Joe, there is nothing more frustrating than being in a critical
hurry while a first string tech support guy rigidly follows the "is it
plugged in" script. Once I can break them free of the script things go well,
often with a quick escalation if the problem is during the day. Some are
more stubborn than others. The worst are the <censoreds> in India with names
like Fred, George, Ralph, Judy, and so forth. With them the exchange usually
already contained the information they ask for if they'd been willing to
listen. "Yes, I already power cycled the DSL MODEM three times with no
changes." That's why Earthlink now supplies only my email address (because
it is just about as old as Earthlink itself and too many people know it)
rather than the DSL connection as well. Um, Earthlink email also is FAR
better for my purposes than GMail. I send zip files to customers. It is
annoying to have to rename the files from foo.zip to foo.zippitydodah or
something. Same file, different suffix, Giggle lets it through. Bleah!
(And at least the odd accents at Earthlink at its worst were better than
trying to get help from Gaggle. I try HARD not to pester their head guy
for their facilities. He's too nice for that. I also realize he is outside
the stupidity loop.)

{^_^}