Magic sysrq key

I combined your e-mails together so I could respond to both of them
> you hear the emegency.sync on a RAID10 device
>: i see that if KDE freezes a come back to Login

>: you SHOULD NEVER use it alone because you could also use
hardware-reset

>osted many times but nobody reads docs people telling:
>ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
>nRaw      (take control of keyboard back from X),
>tErminate (send SIGTERM to all processes, allowing them to terminate
gracefully),
>kIll      (send SIGKILL to all processes, forcing them to terminate
immediately),
> Sync     (flush data to disk),
> Unmount  (remount all filesystems read-only),
>eBoot.

>   Hold down the Alt and SysRq (Print Screen) keys.
>   While holding those down, type the following keys in order, several
seconds apart:
>   REISUB
>   Computer should reboot.

>> On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 15:27 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> Theree seems to be general agreement if you don't include the CTRL
key
>>> only a snapshopt is genrqated the function is not executed.
>>
>> Depends on your user interface...  If you're using something like
Gnome,
>> it's assigned its own function to ALT and PrintScreen (to screengrab
the
>> current active window), versus PrintScreen (by itself, to screengrab
the
>> whole desktop).
>>
>> Whereas, at a basic text-only console, it may be ignoring presses of
the
>> PrintScreen/SystemRequest key, and pass it along, for something else
>> deal with.
>>
>> The same goes for other hotkeys.  Outside of Gnome, for instance, you
>> can switch between terminals simply by pressing ALT and one of the
>> Function keys.  Inside Gnome, it's using those key combinations for
its
>> own purposes, so another key sequence is used.  Again, adding CTRL to
>> it, does the job.
>>
> I did all these things in a alt-f2 console (no Gnome). And they still
> did not work. I want some one to tell me they hit: cntl+alr+sysrq b
and
> got a reboot.

i explained you in my last mail that CTRL+ALT+PRINT+B is plain
stoopid, so nobody will do this - i CONFIRMED multiple
times that STRG+ALT+PRINT+S does a sync, i hear the drives and
i get messages in dmesg, /var/log/messages AND also in a ALT-F2
console independent if there is a login or not, if there is the
login-prompt i get

SysRq : Emergency Sync
Emergency Sync complete

directly below the prompt

When I type ctrl+alt+sysrq+s
I get no sync sound from the disk on either of my two machines
although dmesg tells me one has ocurred.
I have read thew web sitsw content you say no  one reads and have
triwewd to follow its instrctions to no effect.

I guess it is a matter of hand size but it is almost impossible for me
to type REISB while holding down ctrl+alt+sysrq on my keyboard. On my
laptop we need to add Fn which makes it even more impossible.
I applaudew any one who can do that as some of oyu say you can.

I have almost finished a python program where you can type:
magic reisb which will make thwe whole process less trying..

As many times before it is counter productive to call someone stupid,
even if you mispell stupid.

I have neve seen a message:
SysRq : Emergency Sync
Emergency Sync complete