Re: nscd and DNS cache

On 05/18/2012 10:56 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 05/18/2012 10:35 AM, JD wrote:
On 05/18/2012 10:22 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 05/18/2012 12:22 AM, JD wrote:
I think that's more tolerable than
having to wait anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds to resolve every
new name browsed to; (new relative to contents of the cache).

If the name isn't in your cache, you're going to have to look it up
and using a longer TTL isn't going to change the lookup time one
little bit. What it will do is keep recent addresses in the cache
longer so that you won't have to look them up so often.
Not so.
If I could make them live in my local cache a little longer,
lookup will be in ms rather than seconds.

Read what I wrote again, more carefully. If the site's new, and NOT IN YOUR CACHE, the TTL doesn't matter. This only means that sites you've been to recently stay in the cache longer, which isn't the same thing. Yes, I agree that they should hang around long enough to be useful but what I was pointing out is that it's not going to help on a NEW site, as you were saying.
I had said that if there was a way to increase the duration of
keeping a translation in dnsmasq's cache,it would be helpful
to me, because I would like to avoid repeated lookups that
go all the way to the remote resolver, such as the ISP's,
or google's free dns server.
And I said that translating new domains (new relative to the cache content)
was annoying due to the length of time that FF spent looking
up the domain names that should be in the cache, were it not
for the short TTL that dnsmasq honors.