Re: Fedora Sparc in Production

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM, A E [Gmail] <all.eforums@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM, A E [Gmail] <all.eforums@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 16:59 -0400, A E [Gmail] wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         I am still running Aurora-Linux on my Netra-T105.
>         As long as you don't want anything fancy, i would still
>         recommend it
>
> I see, interesting. I'm starting to lean towards giving this a go,
> even though most people have pointed out the issue with constant
> updates to the Sparc port and them not being in sync with the updates
> available on the same number x86 release.
>
> Lastly, Hans, I am not really sure what "fancy" would be ....I'd think
> it's kinda relative as to what defines 'fancy'. If running a VoIP
> server on it, along with a bunch of modules/plugins etc on it is
> fancy, well then I'm in trouble I guess :( I know people are running
> that same software on Fedora on COTS x86/x86_64 machines (possibly in
> production) but does that mean I can successfully run it on the SPARC
> port?

Well, if it is just lamp, ldap etc etc, it just works out of the box.
I can't tell iv any flavour of virtualisation will work, as my machine
just have 512MB mem in them.

In case you have something that creates lots of hw-interrupts, you are
probably far better off with sparc archticture:
Due to backwards compatibility intel based PC's still have to be
compatible with the very old IBM-PC design.

If it is just sip/iax you want, why not? I presume you don't want to
stream & convert a couple of hundreds hifi connections...
Even for that, there are some debates wether intel or amd is better ;-)

otoh, with those new intel-boxes, one can take advantage of the latest
cpu-enhancements (AES-intructions), nice for encryption (vpn/disk)
and you can use high-res video boards.

Hans

Not sure if that answered my question. I'm not going to be running LAMP, LDAP, Virtualization or would have any H/W Interrupts as far as I can tell. It's purely software based call-control/switching with ODBC connection to an external DB. Purely SIP traffic in and out. Expecting a couple of 100 concurrent calls with no compression or codec translation (ideally). I also don't need VPN or Disk encryption, nor would any of those machines need a video card or even a video chip :)

The question was mostly, if someone is running the same scenario as I'm planning on as described above on a x86/x86_64 platform with Fedora 15, then would I be able to run it just as stable on SPARC port, all things being equal and ignoring the speed of updates available for the sparc port.

At the risk of sounding like a total tool, could I ask if someone can point me to the documentation related to installing/configuring Fedora on Sparc? I have spent 15-20 mins finding it but haven't found anything specific.

Also, which version should I be trying? In the download section on fedora website, I see that even the netboot iso for v15 are available for sparc64. is that safe to try or should I be using v14?

Thanks so much

Ok, I guess I was wrong. Netinst ISOs are only available for v12-beta, so I guess that's the one to try and the installation is just any other install over the net like I did for debian in the same environment with the use of rarpd, tftp etc? I have never understood though how to install the full distribution using NFS, I suppose once I have the minimal net install, I need a local repo to point to?

Thanks