Re: Fedora Sparc in Production

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am still running Aurora-Linux on my Netra-T105.
As long as you don't want anything fancy, i would still recommend it

COTS intel stuff is very nice, but the seldom reach the age of five
years when running 24/7.

With Sparc stuff no problem: some of them are beyond 20 years!
Unfortunately they were too good for this world ;-(

hw

I see, interesting. I'm starting to lean towards giving this a go, even though most people have pointed out the issue with constant updates to the Sparc port and them not being in sync with the updates available on the same number x86 release.

I also have yet another question and this may be one of the other silly questions, but are CentOS / RHEL rpms compatible with Fedora? As I mentioned, one of the biggest reasons I want to try out Fedora or any Redhat based Distro is primary because of the driver availability of some of the hardware I need to use as well as the core application i.e. VoIP switch is all developed and best supported on them. However, the driver argument will fail if I'm unable to install the RPMs built for RHEL on Fedora. Is that usually seamless or is there some package conversion, unpack, convert, repack kinda voodoo magic involved?

Lastly, Hans, I am not really sure what "fancy" would be ....I'd think it's kinda relative as to what defines 'fancy'. If running a VoIP server on it, along with a bunch of modules/plugins etc on it is fancy, well then I'm in trouble I guess :( I know people are running that same software on Fedora on COTS x86/x86_64 machines (possibly in production) but does that mean I can successfully run it on the SPARC port?