Re: Fedora Sparc in Production

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 16:59 -0400, A E [Gmail] wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         I am still running Aurora-Linux on my Netra-T105.
>         As long as you don't want anything fancy, i would still
>         recommend it
>
> I see, interesting. I'm starting to lean towards giving this a go,
> even though most people have pointed out the issue with constant
> updates to the Sparc port and them not being in sync with the updates
> available on the same number x86 release.
>

> Lastly, Hans, I am not really sure what "fancy" would be ....I'd think
> it's kinda relative as to what defines 'fancy'. If running a VoIP
> server on it, along with a bunch of modules/plugins etc on it is
> fancy, well then I'm in trouble I guess :( I know people are running
> that same software on Fedora on COTS x86/x86_64 machines (possibly in
> production) but does that mean I can successfully run it on the SPARC
> port?

Well, if it is just lamp, ldap etc etc, it just works out of the box.
I can't tell iv any flavour of virtualisation will work, as my machine
just have 512MB mem in them.

In case you have something that creates lots of hw-interrupts, you are
probably far better off with sparc archticture:
Due to backwards compatibility intel based PC's still have to be
compatible with the very old IBM-PC design.

If it is just sip/iax you want, why not? I presume you don't want to
stream & convert a couple of hundreds hifi connections...
Even for that, there are some debates wether intel or amd is better ;-)

otoh, with those new intel-boxes, one can take advantage of the latest
cpu-enhancements (AES-intructions), nice for encryption (vpn/disk)
and you can use high-res video boards.

Hans