Re: Fedora Sparc in Production

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 11:45:39AM -0400, A E [Gmail] wrote:
> 2011/5/5 Rafal Maszkowski <rzm@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > I run Aurora and Fedora on E250 since several years and it works. It is
> > a typical server with mailman and some WWWs. Currently I have Fedora 12
> > there and I hope to upgrade to F15 easily. I only worry about the
> > updates. In fedora-secondary the most recent releases/12 and
> > development/12 package is from 2010-05-07, updates/12 - from 2010-09-12.
> > The mainline F12 does not have updates since December anyway so I have
> > to upgrade to next available version - F15.
> Thanks for the note. Ok, so how serious is it the environment that you run
> it in? Are these Fedora/Aurora machines you have running in production and

It is one of our public services servers (FTP mirrors, space for WWW,
mailing lists, archie etc.). It is definitely not my prime job although
I try to keep it running. Secondary architecture for second class users.
Sometimes not-lethal problems have to wait quite long for solving.

> serving clients/customers as opposed to an inhouse project? You clearly seem
> to be a veteran of fedora and fedora on sparc in particular. I have not
> touched fedora since v1 or something a long time ago but as I understand
> fedora is a "non production" Distro in general and always in Flux?  Would
> that be fair to state? If so, should one dare to run it in production esp.
> with the Sparc port, given the issues with the updates as you mentioned?

Without some time to keep updates up to date I would not dare to use
Fedora/Sparc for a service I plan to make money from. I use Fedora,
currently #14, on various x86_64 and i386 machines. The too short
support is not a really big issue for me. Upgrades are very easy, I
often do them without rebooting (the kernel waits for a next power break
or other occasions, especially on a server with terabytes of disk space
to fsck if something goes wrong). I use the same F14 on a PC at work, on
a large FTP server, on new notebook, on an ancient 10 year old
notebook... so more less the same version on the Sparc64 server is
convenient. I was planning seriously to split with RedHat but I did not
succeed yet.

R.
--
Tą bronią zabójczą są media, które robią ludziom wodę z mózgu. I tą bronią
   macie walczyć i zwyciężać. (kpt. Z. Sulatycki do uczniów WSKSiM)