Re: Fedora Sparc in Production

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 08:12:30PM -0400, A E [Gmail] wrote:
> I wanted to know if there is anyone running Fedora and very specifically
> Fedora on Sparc in production and how stable is it to run it. I have been
> running Debian on Sparc for a little while and although it was quite easy to
> install and manage, there's a bunch of software that I have really struggled
> to compile, build and run on it incl. several drivers etc. the binaries for
> which are only available in rpm form and I've been unsuccessful in using
> tools like alien to install them on Debian.

I run Aurora and Fedora on E250 since several years and it works. It is
a typical server with mailman and some WWWs. Currently I have Fedora 12
there and I hope to upgrade to F15 easily. I only worry about the
updates. In fedora-secondary the most recent releases/12 and
development/12 package is from 2010-05-07, updates/12 - from 2010-09-12.

The mainline F12 does not have updates since December anyway so I have
to upgrade to next available version - F15.

I wonder if I could help a little in porting updates when F15 is finally
released. I have quite limited amount of time I can use for this server
so running my own koji (or how it is called) and trying to find which
updates are already in the official secondary repository and which are
not would drain my time resources quickly. I would prefer just working
on some specific packages and possibly sharing them with others. Is it
possible with the current Fedora/Sparc infrastructure to allow an alien
developer to pick up sometimes some waiting packages polishing work?

R.
--
Tą bronią zabójczą są media, które robią ludziom wodę z mózgu. I tą bronią
   macie walczyć i zwyciężać. (kpt. Z. Sulatycki do uczniów WSKSiM)