Re: Fedora Sparc in Production

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:45:39 AM A E [Gmail] wrote:
> Anyone else wants to chime in also, please feel free as clearly this is a
> big decision to try and use it in production running a high-traffic
> application, in particular a VoIP switch.

As much as I love Fedora, and on SPARC, and use it myself, if you're looking for something that is more 'supported' I would suggest Debian.  I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case, however.  If it being a Linux distribution is not a hard requirement, then NetBSD and OpenBSD are both available for SPARC and SPARC64 and are both solid performers.

I have used Aurora of several versions in production, as well as using SuSE 7.3 SPARC several years back, and I am using the F12 beta for SPARC on a couple of boxes now, but if you need a degree of support, well, SPARC is a secondary arch for Fedora, and even though Dennis is giving it a good run it is still a Secondary and not primary supported architecture.

But for a production box with high visibility (as a VoIP server would be) you may be better served by Debian or OpenBSD; it depends on how stuck on using Fedora or a fedora-ish Linux you are.  Or how stuck on using SPARC you are: your call.

Hello Lamar,

Thanks for the extremely helpful response. So the only thing I'm "stuck" on is using SPARC, as my original message stated, I was "blessed" with those servers and I have no way around them. But certainly not stuck on Fedora, CentOS or Linux in general. I'd have just used Solaris if Oracle hadn't come around and messed it all up.

Now I'm NEVER touched any flavour of BSD but have only heard good things about it, and have widely heard that it is a better choice than Linux for networking apps / servers in particular. However, as stated in the OP, I'm currently already running Debian Squeeze on one development server right now but obv. it is dev, so hasn't been given the beating but it will be once the application is ready and we do some load tests on it. Hence, my motivation to switch over to BSD will only be if I can get better support for drivers and packages that I have struggled to compile on Debian for Sparc since like I stated a few of them are mostly available in rpm form with no access to the binaries or even the source. Your comment about the uncertainty of support for Debian on Sparc however, does worry me a little.