Re: huge pile of KDE "security" announcements

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:33:23 -0600 Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 08:31:19 -0600
> Jake Edge <jake@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > We processed a huge number of KDE security announcements for F18
> > last week: https://lwn.net/Articles/553900/ ... but the comments on
> > that article indicate that almost all of them are not actually
> > security fixes and are, instead, some kind of koji overreach?
> > seemingly the same pile of fixes showed up for F17 yesterday ... is
> > it just kdeplasma-addons that needs to be highlighted (perhaps with
> > a mention that koji cascaded the bug into a bunch of unaffected
> > packages?) ... or is there more?  or are they truly all affected?
>
> This is due to this being 1 single update with all the kde packages.
>
> See:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2013-10182/
>
> So, all those packages are all "FEDORA-2013-10182"
>
> and since you can only mark the single update security or not, the
> entire thing (and all packages) are marked security.

What I don't quite follow is whether all of those packages are in fact
updated for security reasons or whether this is just an artifact of
bodhi (or koji or something) ... I am sensing the latter ...

does 'kdepimlibs' or 'kdeedu' (to pick two at random) need to be
updated for *security* reasons?  or just because it got tagged with one
(?) package that was updated to the same upstream revision
(kdeplasma-addons ... others?)

> I don't know if this will be handled any better in bodhi 2.0, but we
> could surely look and try and handle things better. What would you
> like to see for an update like this? Different names for each
> package? Or some what to tag only those package(s) that are security
> updates?

Well, I would think Fedora users would only want things that are
actually security updates to marked as such ... or are all these
packages dependent on the Plasma add-ons somehow?  That's what's
confusing here imo ...

jake

--
Jake Edge - LWN - jake@xxxxxxx - http://lwn.net