Re: Efforts at creating a Fedora Scientific Spin

Hi everyone:

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Amit Saha <droidery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I wanted to bring to your attention my efforts at creating a Fedora
> Scientific Spin [1]. I have put in the spin page [2] some of my goals,
> the reasons of the packages I have selected and the current state of
> the project.
>
> Reproducing from there:
>
> This spin will be based on the Fedora desktop spin. In addition, a
> number of tools and libraries for scientific research is included. I
> have decided upon the current set of applications based on my own
> experience and some discussions on mailing lists, notably the Canberra
> Linux Users Group.
>
> The current set of packages include a IDE, tools and libraries for
> programming in C, C++, Python, Java and R. Also included alongwith are
> libraries for parallel computing such as the OpenMPI and OpenMP. Tools
> for typesetting, writing and publishing are included. Scientific
> computing libraries and tools such as the GNU Scientific Library,
> SciPy, Octave, Maxima are also shipped in this spin.
>
> The current set of packages are provided from the Fedora 15 repository
> for my tests and the ISO stands at ~1.6 Gigs. I am currently using it
> on my Desktop and after installation takes about ~6 gigs of disk
> space. Since Fedora 15 is stable, so is Fedora Scientific!
>
> (NB: As of now, the Rawhide repository is far from being stable and I
> hence I have refrained from using it for my testing.)
>
> Like I have pointed out in the spin page, I want this spin to be under
> the umbrella of the SciTech SIG and hence invite all of you to kindly
> make your suggestions/comments.
>
> I shall keep the list updated on the progress of this effort,
> specially the outcome of the spin wrangling process.
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Amitksaha#Fedora_Scientific_Spin
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scientific_Spin

To add to my previous email, I have sought the kind services of the
Fedora design team to create a logo
for the spin. You can see the current efforts and discussions at
https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/196.
It would be great to have your ideas on the current logo.

Also, do post your comments/suggestions on the discussion page at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Scientific_Spin

Thanks!
-Amit

--