Re: [Fedora Robotics] Installing ROS on Fedora 18, and "the pcl issue" -- is there any hope?

On 5 December 2012 04:35, Rich Mattes <richmattes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry, rosstack looks for stack.xml, not manifest.xml.  Try using "rospack find pcl".  rospack seems to use folder names, so you should symlink /usr/share/pcl -> /usr/share/pcl-1.6.  Looking back at your original error message, it looks like the command "rospack deps-manifests costmap_2d" is what is failing.  So the "rospack" command should be the one you're using to find PCL.  I just tried creating the symlink, installing manifest.xml, and running the rospack command to find PCL and find the costmap deps, and it seems to have worked.

Yes, thanks -- that got me much further in the process. Here are the other changes I had to make to get "rosmake -a" to complete:
  • I had to add a "ros" package to rosdep-fedora.yaml to allow "rosdep install -a" to work. I ended up just giving an empty list of yum packages and that seemed to work.
  • the manifest.xml for pcl refers to pkg-config things like pcl_common-1.5, while the pcl RPM installs un-versioned pkg-config things, so I had to change that both in the installed pcl manifest and in the copied version in perception_pcl/pcl_ros/manifest.xml. I also added `mysql_config --libs` to the ldflags list because libmysqlclient.so is in a subdirectory of /usr/lib64.
  • added more rosbuild_link_boost ($executable system) calls to
    • diagnostics/diagnostic_updater/CMakeLists.txt
  • added more instances of "set(PythonLibs_FIND_VERSION 2)" and rosbuild_link_boost($executable system) to CMakeLists.txt's as needed
  • added the following to laser_pipeline/laser_filters/CMakeLists.txt
    • include_directories(${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/../../perception_pcl/pcl_ros/include)
    • link_directories(${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/../../perception_pcl/pcl_ros/lib)
  • added protobuf to the generated .rosinstall as described at https://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20120411.124910.6ccbec56.el.html
So this all worked fine, and then I tried to rosmake the code provided by the students ...
Failed to invoke /opt/ros/fuerte/bin/rospack deps-manifests social_robot
[rospack] Error: package/stack social_robot depends on non-existent package opencv2

Arrggghhh ... does this mean that I need a manifest.xml for opencv-devel too, or something like that?

Increasingly tempted to just jump ship to ubuntu and be done with it, but I'm stubborn. :)

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~mef3/
Interaction Lab -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/InteractionLab

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity
number SC000278