Re: [Fedora Robotics] ROS on fedora: the pcl issue

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Rich Mattes <richmattes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for going over these. The question you raised about what should own /etc/ros provides an interesting issue.  I think we should make a ros-release package that owns /etc/ros, provides RPM macros that define which ros release the distro supports (i.e. electric, fuerte, groovy, etc.) and is required by all of the other ROS subpackages.  I was looking at the fedora-release package this morning, I'm going to take a crack at a ros-release package tonight and put it up for review.  This implies that we're only going to support one ROS release per fedora version, but I think this is the right route take (interested parties can install to /opt if they want a different version than the one we provide).  It also implies once we pick a rosditro for el6, we're stuck with it or we break the world by upgrading the entire rosdistro.  Without reviewing additional compatibility packages, i don't see any way around that anyway.

I went ahead and made a rudimentary "ros-release" package at [1].  Right now all it does is own /etc/ros, provide a %rosdistro rpm macro, and create an /etc/ros-release file with the ROS release name.  If nobody has any issues with it, I'll put it up for review in the coming days so we can make other packages depend on it.

Rich

[1] http://rmattes.fedorapeople.org/rospackages/ros-release/