Re: [Fedora Robotics] ROS on fedora: the pcl issue

On 09/18/2012 04:23 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
Hi folks,

I was trying to build ROS on fedora. Not an rpm or anything, just plain
ROS as described here[1]. Quite at the end, I ran into the issue with
pcl[2], which will be resolved in pcl-2.0. I was wondering if anyone
knew a workaround for the time being to get ROS working on fedora, until
we package it up?

The patch I submitted in the bug report will make Fedora's PCL look and act like a ROS stack. The alternative is to build your own PCL from the wg-debs repository.
The page[1] is a little incomplete. This is the list of packages I
needed to install:

python-empy python-nose log4cxx-devel wxGTK-devel qt4-devel
wxPython-devel yaml-cpp-devel opencv-devel tinyxml-devel

There's also a tiny change in the rosdep that needs to be made[3]

Until we get ROS packaged up, I was thinking of putting up a wiki page
(or updating the ROS page) detailing how one can use ROS on their fedora
system. (It installs stuff in /opt etc., but I don't think that can be
helped at the moment. I'm using a vm at the moment)
The docs at http://www.ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Installation/Fedora do a decent job at getting people up and running; if there's anything missing from them we can go in and edit them. I think it's be less confusing to have only one set of installation instructions, and once we get packages in we can add a second installation method or document it ourselves and put a link in their docs.
If any one has any pointers on the pcl issue, please do let me know. If
possible, I could host a separate repo on my fedorapeople space with a
ros-specific pcl version.
Tom has posted a whole bunch of ROS stacks he packaged at http://spot.fedorapeople.org/ros/ , including PCL. We should definitely use those as a starting point for submitting review requests.

Rich