Re: [Fedora Robotics] robots-udevrules package for nbc and nxt_python, wedo and similar

Martin Langhoff <martin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 03/10/2011 1:23:40 AM +0350:
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09.03.2011 19:33, Martin Langhoff wrote:
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That still is way to vague. I suggest creating a package per
robot/board/platform/sensor/actuator. If there is a canonical software
We are talking about 1 package for a 1-line file. That's very OCD :-)

One single package simplifies maintenance for this maintainer, reduces
metadata load on fedora infra, cuts your "yum downloading metadata"
times.
I know, but one catch-all package is just not the proper way.
Well that's just an unfounded statement.

I have an NXT, a GoGo board, a Pico/Scratch board all on my desk right
now. I'll get my hands on a wedo and arduino kit soon.

They are _extremely_ similar, they are actually are all variations on
a theme; just like printers are. All have 3 to 5 inputs (usually read
as an unsigned int) and 3 to 5 "controller" ports. Some have a cpu you
get to program, plus a tiny bit of RAM. They all cost < USD 100  (or
around $250 in a kit with sensors and motors).

If the API (and CPU/RAM) allows, you can copy some bytecode files to
the device and execute them independently. Otherwise you read the
inputs and write commands to the controller ports.

They are _so_ similar, that we control them all from TurtleArt, or
from Scratch. Their sensors are mostly the same across different
boards.

Is there any problem if we end up with a package with udev rules for
50 similar-ish robots that can be controlled by more than one library?
Why are the bluetooth and printer rpm maintainers not hitting that
problem? File a bug against their packages too ;-)
Well, Isn't there any suitable common name for those 50 similar-ish robots? There might be lots of robots similar to these, but there are certainly lots of other robots which are totally different. So, it would be nice if we can assign a category name to the robots you mention, and provide a package for them.

Thanks,
Hedayat