Re: [Fedora Robotics] robots-udevrules package for nbc and nxt_python, wedo and similar

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09.03.2011 19:33, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> That still is way to vague. I suggest creating a package per
>>> robot/board/platform/sensor/actuator. If there is a canonical software
>>
>> We are talking about 1 package for a 1-line file. That's very OCD :-)
>
>> One single package simplifies maintenance for this maintainer, reduces
>> metadata load on fedora infra, cuts your "yum downloading metadata"
>> times.
>
> I know, but one catch-all package is just not the proper way.

Well that's just an unfounded statement.

I have an NXT, a GoGo board, a Pico/Scratch board all on my desk right
now. I'll get my hands on a wedo and arduino kit soon.

They are _extremely_ similar, they are actually are all variations on
a theme; just like printers are. All have 3 to 5 inputs (usually read
as an unsigned int) and 3 to 5 "controller" ports. Some have a cpu you
get to program, plus a tiny bit of RAM. They all cost < USD 100  (or
around $250 in a kit with sensors and motors).

If the API (and CPU/RAM) allows, you can copy some bytecode files to
the device and execute them independently. Otherwise you read the
inputs and write commands to the controller ports.

They are _so_ similar, that we control them all from TurtleArt, or
from Scratch. Their sensors are mostly the same across different
boards.

Is there any problem if we end up with a package with udev rules for
50 similar-ish robots that can be controlled by more than one library?
Why are the bluetooth and printer rpm maintainers not hitting that
problem? File a bug against their packages too ;-)

 martin@xxxxxxxxxx -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions