Re: [Fedora Robotics] robots-udevrules package for nbc and nxt_python, wedo and similar

On 09.03.2011 19:33, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> That still is way to vague. I suggest creating a package per
>> robot/board/platform/sensor/actuator. If there is a canonical software
>
> We are talking about 1 package for a 1-line file. That's very OCD :-)

> One single package simplifies maintenance for this maintainer, reduces
> metadata load on fedora infra, cuts your "yum downloading metadata"
> times.

I know, but one catch-all package is just not the proper way.

> Look at rpms that bundle printer drivers. Or look at the rules as
> shipped today, for example /etc/udev/rules.d/97-bluetooth-serial.rules

These are all for one class of devices. But you are grouping different
classes of devices. At the very least, move rules for which a package
exists to that package, then group by device classes, e.g.
microcontroller boards an "edurobots". robots is certainly not a
suitable grouping, it's too vague. Even edurobots is very vague. The Nao
is also for educational purposes, as is the PR2, or the Pioneer, or even
the Roomba. But they are also service robots, soccer robots, outdoor
explorers, and for research.

I understand why you want to keep it in one package, but it seems
totally wrong to me. Consider bigger robots, where you have components,
rather than one integrated block. I have kind of dislike presenting NXT
toys as "these are robots". It's one kind of a robot, but there are so
many more and very different ones. Besides classification disagreement
that's another reason why I do not like the implication of such "one"
package for all.

Ideally, I'd like to have "microcontroller-udevrules" and
"legorobots-udevrules". I guess the latter is not possible due to
trademark constraints, but some other common term should be found
explicitly describing what this is about, maybe "brickrobots" ;-) If
after a few suggestions nothing better comes up, we can re-think
edurobots, but let's try to come up with something better, which does
not classify other robots inadequately or neglects them. Adding the
boards there remains a no-go for me.

	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      www.niemueller.de