Re: [Fedora Robotics] robots-udevrules package for nbc and nxt_python, wedo and similar

On 09.03.2011 22:53, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> We are talking about 1 package for a 1-line file. That's very OCD :-)
>>
>>> One single package simplifies maintenance for this maintainer, reduces
>>> metadata load on fedora infra, cuts your "yum downloading metadata"
>>> times.
>>
>> I know, but one catch-all package is just not the proper way.
>
> Well that's just an unfounded statement.
>
> I have an NXT, a GoGo board, a Pico/Scratch board all on my desk right
> now. I'll get my hands on a wedo and arduino kit soon.

The pico board is a generic sensor board. People could use it for their
physics project to measure temperature or whatnot. It's not robotic per
se. Arduino is also on the wiki page, which is even less robot-specific.
I'd classify such boards not by their number of inputs or outputs, but
what they are used for. And many of these kits are open-ended. Some at
least have robotics as their primary purpose, but the only way to
properly group them is "microcontroller boards", but even then they are
so diverse that I'd argue they do not easily fit under one umbrella, and
certainly not robotics.

It also still neglects that you are looking at a tiny fraction of
robotics, namely toy robotics for young education. But serious research
robots or more powerful platforms are neglected by giving this udev
rules package such a vague name.

Come up with sensible classification and names, which is narrowly
focused on the purpose of the packages and does take into account that
it does not represent the whole field of robot hardware, and not even a
large fraction.

	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      www.niemueller.de