Re: [Fedora Robotics] What is qualified as "Packages related to Robotics"?!

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Hedayat Vatankhah <hedayatv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Hi all,
I was reading a page about some software useful in robotics, and I found
that there are many software available in Fedora which are not listed in
our SIG page. Well, they are not robotics specific but are useful in
robotics. Examples include: OpenCV, CMU Sphinx and Festival. We should
certainly consider such software for our Robotics Spin, but I wonder if
we should also include such software in our WiKi page or not. Or in the
other way, if proposals for packaging such software should land on our
wiki (e.g. Julius speech recognition engine at [1]).

What's your opinion?

[1] http://julius.sourceforge.jp/en_index.php

Hi,

I agree, right now our wiki page is just an organizational landing point for SIG members.  I'd like to see a separate place where we can showcase the robotics technologies available in Fedora.  I've been looking at other SIG pages, most of them treat their wiki pages the same way we do now (organizational stuff, review wishlists, reviews in progress, member lists, etc.)

Perhaps we could make fedoraproject.org/wiki/Robotics into a landing page showing off the technologies available in Fedora, with screenshots of Player, Stage, Fawkes, RoboCup, etc. in action.  We could probably organize it into Frameworks (player, fawkes rccsserver), Simulators (stage, gazebo[eventually] rcsssimulator3d),  Development Environments (Arduino), and Libraries (Gearbox, URG, OpenCV, etc.).  We could also provide links to each package in pkgdb, etc.  fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Robotics would be changed to contain the organizational stuff that's at wiki/Robotics, and we'd provide a link to it from the main Robotics page.

We could also try to get a cool looking Fedora Robotics banner made like the one in [1] (maybe talk to the design team?) and provide links to learning resources for each package/framework/etc.

I think the ultimate goal is to have a really nice Spins page like [2], but for now I don't see why we can't make a nice presence on the wiki.

As far as packaging proposals (i.e. Julius), I think we kind of have that in place now in the "Interesting Pacakges Proposed for Packaging" section.  Perhaps we could consolidate all of those sections into just "Wishlist," "In Progress," "Complete," and "Won't Package" sections.  It might be more straightforward that way.

Rich

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education
[2] http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/#portfolio