Re: [Fedora-r-devel-list] Errors in constructing SPEC from local source.

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 15:06 -0400, Allen S. Rout wrote:

> > R2spec remains a project designed to make the life of Fedora's R
> > packager's easier, so it has to remain guideline compliant. That is
> > a reason why putting the source0 as URL also is not *in my opinion*
> > a good approach (while I actually do like the --URL option).
>
> Well, like I said, from my perspective it's aesthetic, so I'd be
> delighted with it.

I'll try to push this on the git by the end of the week-end then :)

> > There was a time when I thought I would try to get an "automatic
> > cran  builder" working but atm I have other priorities.
>
> Are you willing to record your preferences on this, especially with
> respect to how my previous work didn't fit your picture?  If you did,
> then if I get around to it I could work in ways aligned with your
> plans.

Well at the moment I see more R2rpm/R2spec has a tool to generate rpm or
spec individually as one would have to do to incorporate them into
Fedora. It is a spec generator tool which push the work up to building
the rpm (which it needs to fill the %file section anyway).
Specs needs manual inspection and curation sometime, one needs to run
rpmlint and so on.

My thoughts were that there was space for a tool to build the whole
dependency tree and run R2spec/R2rpm in the right order.
In my attempts to build CRAN I used your R script for that. I could this
way create 7 files and then I was just running these 7 files on after
the other.
My problem was more or less:
- Takes time to build (~1 week for the whole run)

- Lack of resources (although I improved on these but not enough)

- I did it the dirty way by doing : build all R packages in fileX in
mock - Install all rpm - build all R packages in fileX+1 in mock -
install all rpm.... - restart for another arch/release
I actually wonder, if one wants to give a shot at such project in a long
term, if looking into koji would not be a nice alternative: build all
the R packages from fileX for all arch/release - populate the repo as
they are build - build all the R packages from fileX+1 for all
arch/release... And this way at the end you have a repo which you know
works.
I always had the wish to support at least i686 and x86_64 on Fedora n
and n-1 RHEL 5 and 6, so 6 to 8 (if I added rawhide) build for each
packages. For this I though koji would make sense, but I never got
around to try to install it and configure vm builders.

- Not all the packages build, sometime because of the lack of outside
dependencies.
For this reason all the packages that fails have to be inspected by
hand.

- I have a script to update existing spec file but it does not check for
changes in the dependency tree and cran as well as bioconductor are so
good at changing the dependency tree at every releases...
So for every release of bioconductor, we have to update all the spec
files for most of their elements but the changelog basically (sounds
easy when I say it this way ^^).

Basically I would keep R2spec at a single package level and build on the
top a cran2rpm or so.

All this makes me think that I still have few thousands spec files
hanging somewhere and that I should actually make them accessible
somewhere (with a warning that a significant part of it is probably
outdated).

These were my thoughts when I was looking into it.

Hope this help,

Pierre