Re: [Fedora-r-devel-list] Re: useR! 2008 status report

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 22:04:09 George N. White III wrote:
> One of the difficulties in discussing these issues is that no
> one person is likely to encounter the full range of environments
> that need to be supported.  There are very different security and
> control problems for a server running R to produce offical statistics
> than for a student's personal workstation.  Certainly security can
> be enhanced if we minimize the use of root to manage end-user apps.

This is an issue with lots of gray shadings. If we place virtualization on the
board we have another level. :-)

> This says we need to move to a multi-level packaging approach that
> supports packaged installs under user/group control without root
> privileges.

Well this is easier said than done. :-)

Although I agree that you right and that there are bigger fishes to fry, my
interest was just to place Fedora and R in a context that allowed us to have
more R packages in Fedora done and at the same time not forgetting the lessons
that were learned from packaging other languages (specifically Perl and
Python).

--
José Abílio