Re: Apport, mailing list, meeting

ons, 18 07 2007 kl. 17:51 -0400, skrev Will Woods:

> > 2) The kernel patch, I haven't seen it posted on LKML and I assume we
> > are planning to push it upstream and to the Fedora kernel.
>
> Neil Horman is working on it this week - should be available in a few
> days.

Kick ass, Neil has officially attained hero status.

> Heh! It's true that QA makes you taller and more confident. And it cures
> cancer!*
>
> *actually a complete lie. well, the cancer anyway.

I want my money back, I'm only growing fatter and the grey hair I'm
starting to get is not appealing to the ladies.

We definitely need a "Will Woods wants YOU! for the QA team" campaign,
maybe the artwork team can hook us up with a few fun.

>  Maybe we can get topic support for fedora-devel-list, so QA-specific
> stuff can be filtered into a special folder, but the rest of the list
> still sees all the messages..

Then really what is the difference between having a nice little list
like the -qa list which has very low volume, easy to stay on top of.. we
just need to spur more interest.

> Oh, definitely true, but occasionally people email me or pop into
> #fedora-qa and ask how they can help. It'd be good to have a starting
> point that says something like:

Yeah I've been lying my ass of saying how fun QA is and how easy it is..
next week I'll be selling my Woods style of crack of kindergarden
children. Generally my advice to newcomers is the irc channel, the list
and our meetings, I have no idea how effective a bit of campaigning has
been but I'm hoping we can grow a little army of people to at least do
updates testing since that is fairly easy and has a high impact on the
overall quality of Fedora' stable releases. The rest of us crazies are
able to stay pretty much on top of the showstopper QA problems on
Rawhide, at least that's my feeling on the matter, I'm considerably more
worried about the stable cycle, those bugs will keep crawling in.

> "Want to help? Welcome aboard! You can start by testing new updates, or
> (if you're feeling brave) you can install Rawhide to test the next
> version of Fedora as it's being developed..."

Well it's my experience that the baby eating warnings are overrated, if
we encourage people to keep a seperate /home partition then reinstalling
is easy. My machine has been exclusively Fedora Development for years,
no data corruption bugs or anything like that but I have needed the
occasional reinstall, I'm sure there are more willing suckers like me
out there.

- David