Re: Apport, mailing list, meeting

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 17:23 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> ons, 18 07 2007 kl. 10:32 -0400, skrev Will Woods:
>
> > On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 17:24 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> > >
> > > 1. Apport
> > > - Can we get it in for F8t1?
>
> That would mean 6 days til the development freeze, while nothing would
> make me more pleased than to have Apport available from test1 and
> onwards I think the realistic aim might be shipping test2 with apport,
> rawhide inclusion happening as shortly after test1 as humanly possible.
>
> > I've added a Proposed Feature page for apport:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureApport
> > A lot of this is answered there. I think it might be doable by F8t1 if
> > we work hard.
>
> What is the status of the following:
> 1) Approval for the feature (I hear we actually need approval when
> improving Fedora now)

Well, approval only really matters once we get to the feature deadline
and we have to decide what's good enough to finish up and what to defer
for F9. The message I got was, basically: go ahead and do it, and if it
works it should get approved.

> 2) The kernel patch, I haven't seen it posted on LKML and I assume we
> are planning to push it upstream and to the Fedora kernel.

Neil Horman is working on it this week - should be available in a few
days.

> > > 2. Future of fedora-qa-list and fedora-test-list:
> >
> > So, at this point, I'm feeling like this: branching off qa-list gave us
> > much better Signal/Noise ratio.. at the price of reducing Signal to
> > near-zero. So maybe we should move back to the older, more obvious way:
> >
> > QA tool development / planning: fedora-devel-list
> > Testing discussion: fedora-test-list (later fedora-devel-users)
> >
> > ..because more eyeballs means more help.
>
> Yes but it also means significantly more noise, I have +600 mails lying
> around in my fedora-devel folder, I fear that pushing QA to -devel would
> only cause our meeting and testing calls to drown. I'm planning to
> unsubscribe from -devel simply because I can no longer keep up, the pace
> of -qa is much more suitable, I also believe that our lack of mail
> activity is due to the qa team being young and our PR sucking hard. If
> we can sell the idea that women dig guys who do QA I think we'll see
> more postings.

Heh! It's true that QA makes you taller and more confident. And it cures
cancer!*

*actually a complete lie. well, the cancer anyway.

 Maybe we can get topic support for fedora-devel-list, so QA-specific
stuff can be filtered into a special folder, but the rest of the list
still sees all the messages..

> > And we could use a http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Tasks page which
> > would give some pointers on Things To Test and Places To Start.
>
> I think testing calls should be made to the fedora-test list, it's much
> more interesting to get instant feedback on something like "DaveJ just
> made this intrusive change, please report back if you have such and such
> hardware". People are not going to dig around our horrid nightmare
> inducing wiki to find the current testing targets and our small team
> will certainly be able to remember on our own or by following our
> mailing list..

Oh, definitely true, but occasionally people email me or pop into
#fedora-qa and ask how they can help. It'd be good to have a starting
point that says something like:

"Want to help? Welcome aboard! You can start by testing new updates, or
(if you're feeling brave) you can install Rawhide to test the next
version of Fedora as it's being developed..."

Normal calls for testing and such should definitely go out to -test-list
and -devel-list, I just meant general starting points in QA.

-w