Re: Apport, mailing list, meeting

ons, 18 07 2007 kl. 10:32 -0400, skrev Will Woods:

> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 17:24 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> >
> > 1. Apport
> > - Can we get it in for F8t1?

That would mean 6 days til the development freeze, while nothing would
make me more pleased than to have Apport available from test1 and
onwards I think the realistic aim might be shipping test2 with apport,
rawhide inclusion happening as shortly after test1 as humanly possible.

> I've added a Proposed Feature page for apport:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureApport
> A lot of this is answered there. I think it might be doable by F8t1 if
> we work hard.

What is the status of the following:
1) Approval for the feature (I hear we actually need approval when
improving Fedora now)
2) The kernel patch, I haven't seen it posted on LKML and I assume we
are planning to push it upstream and to the Fedora kernel.

> > 2. Future of fedora-qa-list and fedora-test-list:
>
> So, at this point, I'm feeling like this: branching off qa-list gave us
> much better Signal/Noise ratio.. at the price of reducing Signal to
> near-zero. So maybe we should move back to the older, more obvious way:
>
> QA tool development / planning: fedora-devel-list
> Testing discussion: fedora-test-list (later fedora-devel-users)
>
> ..because more eyeballs means more help.

Yes but it also means significantly more noise, I have +600 mails lying
around in my fedora-devel folder, I fear that pushing QA to -devel would
only cause our meeting and testing calls to drown. I'm planning to
unsubscribe from -devel simply because I can no longer keep up, the pace
of -qa is much more suitable, I also believe that our lack of mail
activity is due to the qa team being young and our PR sucking hard. If
we can sell the idea that women dig guys who do QA I think we'll see
more postings.

> Finally, we need to update some stuff on the wiki:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA could use some love, as could
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraTesting
>
> I need to put up a QA roadmap, too. Probably that should get linked off
> of the main QA page.

eekk wiki.. horrible nightnares ensues. Sorry I still have bad dreams
following the pain of even getting a wiki account.

> And we could use a http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Tasks page which
> would give some pointers on Things To Test and Places To Start.

I think testing calls should be made to the fedora-test list, it's much
more interesting to get instant feedback on something like "DaveJ just
made this intrusive change, please report back if you have such and such
hardware". People are not going to dig around our horrid nightmare
inducing wiki to find the current testing targets and our small team
will certainly be able to remember on our own or by following our
mailing list..

- David