Re: Fedora QA Meeting this week?

tir, 03 07 2007 kl. 20:14 +0000, skrev Will Woods:
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 07:42 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
>
> > When we instruct users (and by we I likely mean me primarily) to use the
> > debuginfo-install tool from yum-utils it will correctly get all the
> > required debug symbols however when the user updates the software since
> > the debuginfo repo is not enabled he will be using old symbols on new
> > packages. To make matters worse bug-buddy doesn't really interest itself
> > in complaining so we risk the users sending really misleading backtraces
> > upstream. So I would love for us to make an appeal to the powers that be
> > to have the debug repos enabled by default.
>
> I don't think that's a good idea - it makes things much slower for the
> 95% of people who never install debuginfo packages.

Adding a second or so to the already much hated yum sequence is a damn
good trade off in terms of not giving upstream or ourselves misleading
backtraces. You could say that Apport will fix this or that bug-buddy
should really check and warn users, but the fact is that currently it
doesn't. When those options become a reality we can disable debuginfo by
default, now we can't.

- David