Re: Proposal on FWN implementation/ automation

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 15:09 +0530, sankarshan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Buddhike Kurera
> <bckurera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The whole FAm beat can be made available with the use of a script. ( a
> > script to dig the pipemail and extract things required and arrange
> > them, pretty systematic way). If we discuss with other beat writers we
> > can figure out the possibility for their bets as well. AFAIK, the
> > insight
> > helps the publishing part instead the conventional wiki editing
> > process. Therefor we can put a step forward and make the
> > beat writing process smoother.
>
> If you are going along this path it is a slippery slope (and, I've
> thought about this a lot of times earlier as well). The idea of FWN,
> or, at least what I thought of it when I used to write the Ambassadors
> beat, was to piece together the activities of the Ambassadors group in
> a way that a reader can have a fairly clear idea of the activities for
> the week even if (s)he wasn't part of the group or, was part of any
> team inside of Fedora. This was the basic thought which allowed me to
> experiment with separating the sections or, even trying to cover the
> FAmSCo mailing list.
>
> A tool or, a script is good when you have specific data sources to
> obtain detail from viz. the new Ambassadors listing (or, new packages
> waiting for karma) etc. But reading the threads and thereafter
> providing a neutral point of view while maintaining a conversationally
> easy tone is a writer's job.
>
> Instead of a wiki a CMS could probably be a better publishing medium.
> But, in context of the FWN, tools/scripts being written to pre-process
> content for editors is probably not a good idea.

Yeah, I think automated generation of a newsletter is probably not going
to work terribly well. When I wrote the QA beat I did a lot of manual
weeding of info from various sources and writing it into a summary that
flowed, I'm not sure we could realistically automate that yet.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey