Re: Proposal on FWN implementation/ automation

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Buddhike Kurera
<bckurera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The whole FAm beat can be made available with the use of a script. ( a
> script to dig the pipemail and extract things required and arrange
> them, pretty systematic way). If we discuss with other beat writers we
> can figure out the possibility for their bets as well. AFAIK, the
> insight
> helps the publishing part instead the conventional wiki editing
> process. Therefor we can put a step forward and make the
> beat writing process smoother.

If you are going along this path it is a slippery slope (and, I've
thought about this a lot of times earlier as well). The idea of FWN,
or, at least what I thought of it when I used to write the Ambassadors
beat, was to piece together the activities of the Ambassadors group in
a way that a reader can have a fairly clear idea of the activities for
the week even if (s)he wasn't part of the group or, was part of any
team inside of Fedora. This was the basic thought which allowed me to
experiment with separating the sections or, even trying to cover the
FAmSCo mailing list.

A tool or, a script is good when you have specific data sources to
obtain detail from viz. the new Ambassadors listing (or, new packages
waiting for karma) etc. But reading the threads and thereafter
providing a neutral point of view while maintaining a conversationally
easy tone is a writer's job.

Instead of a wiki a CMS could probably be a better publishing medium.
But, in context of the FWN, tools/scripts being written to pre-process
content for editors is probably not a good idea.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>

+1 to sankarshan

The News Teams needs care only instead of taking new actions through automation or CMS for all. Automation is good only for editor who is integrating all the beats together, but not for the Beat writer, because there are lots of thread that are/is minor to include in the News (Specially Announcement Beat).

If no other is there than I would like to take the responsibility to Edit the FWN on behalf of Pascal for certain time for to update the Fedora Community.