Re: keeping spare-time-contributors happy

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Wrong.

Somebody decided _THEY_ wanted it, because _THEY_ think this bureaucracy
is necessary and _THEY_ proceeded with it, because _THEY_ had the powers
to implement it.

FE had lived long enough to demonstrate it could prosper and live
without this blown-up overhead.

FE didn't have updates-testing, didn't do update announcements, had a rolling release model etc. Those things don't work in a merged world.

And why not ? They worked well enough before, didn't they?

Don't get me wrong I'm in favor of updates announcements and of avoiding unneeded updates.

But lets face it (and this is in no way intended as me not appreciating Luke's hard work) bodhi (or rather the whole set of procedures surrounding it)) sucks rocks.

I'm amazed now one has responded to me showing what it was like todo a new package and what it is now (and the same goes for an important / security bug fix) :

[hans@... fedora-extras] common/cvs-import.sh wip/foo/foo-1.0-1.fc7.src.rpm
[hans@... fedora-extras] cvs co foo
[hans@... fedora-extras] cd foo/devel
[hans@... devel] make build
[hans@... devel] cp * ../FC-6
[hans@... devel] cp * ../FC-5
[hans@... devel] cd ../FC-6
[hans@...  FC-6] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag build
[hans@...  FC-6] cd ../FC-5
[hans@...  FC-5] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag build

<done>

Now it is
[hans@... fedora-extras] common/cvs-import.sh wip/foo/foo-1.0-1.fc8.src.rpm
[hans@... fedora-extras] cvs co foo
[hans@... fedora-extras] cd foo/devel
[hans@... devel] make build
[hans@... devel] cp * ../F-7
[hans@... devel] cp * ../FC-6
[hans@... devel] cd ../F-7
[hans@...  F-7] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag build
[hans@...  F-7] cd ../FC-6
[hans@...  FC-6] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag
<notice the missing build at the last line! >
<wait for F-7 build to complete>
<wait some more>
<goto bodhi request f-7 package push as update, skip updates-testing, otherwise
 this gets even more painfull>
<wait ...>
<remind oneself must do make build in foo/FC-6 once F-7 package is build>
<wait ...>
<really must not forget to do make build in foo/FC-6 once F-7 package is build>
<then finally, get the mail it is pushed, and then>
[hans@...  FC-6] make build

<or oops forgotten>
<some time later, hey a bugzilla ticket why I never build foo for FC-6>

Please explain to me how that is an improvement in anyway?

Regards,

Hans