Re: keeping spare-time-contributors happy

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 23:38 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >> Wrong.
> >>
> >> Somebody decided _THEY_ wanted it, because _THEY_ think this bureaucracy
> >> is necessary and _THEY_ proceeded with it, because _THEY_ had the powers
> >> to implement it.
> >>
> >> FE had lived long enough to demonstrate it could prosper and live
> >> without this blown-up overhead.
> >
> > FE didn't have updates-testing, didn't do update announcements, had a
> > rolling release model etc. Those things don't work in a merged world.
> >

> And why not ? They worked well enough before, didn't they?
>
> Don't get me wrong I'm in favor of updates announcements and of avoiding
> unneeded updates.
>
> But lets face it (and this is in no way intended as me not appreciating Luke's
> hard work) bodhi (or rather the whole set of procedures surrounding it)) sucks
> rocks.
>
> I'm amazed now one has responded to me showing what it was like todo a new
> package and what it is now (and the same goes for an important / security bug
> fix) :
>
> [hans@... fedora-extras] common/cvs-import.sh wip/foo/foo-1.0-1.fc7.src.rpm
> [hans@... fedora-extras] cvs co foo
> [hans@... fedora-extras] cd foo/devel
> [hans@... devel] make build
> [hans@... devel] cp * ../FC-6
> [hans@... devel] cp * ../FC-5
> [hans@... devel] cd ../FC-6
> [hans@...  FC-6] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag build
> [hans@...  FC-6] cd ../FC-5
> [hans@...  FC-5] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag build
>
> <done>
>
> Now it is
> [hans@... fedora-extras] common/cvs-import.sh wip/foo/foo-1.0-1.fc8.src.rpm
> [hans@... fedora-extras] cvs co foo
> [hans@... fedora-extras] cd foo/devel
> [hans@... devel] make build
> [hans@... devel] cp * ../F-7
> [hans@... devel] cp * ../FC-6
> [hans@... devel] cd ../F-7
> [hans@...  F-7] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag build
> [hans@...  F-7] cd ../FC-6
> [hans@...  FC-6] make clog && cvs commit -F clog && rm clog && make tag
> <notice the missing build at the last line! >
> <wait for F-7 build to complete>
> <wait some more>
> <goto bodhi
Here you forgot one step: To write down exactly which package you built,
otherwise you won't find it again 2 days later.

> request f-7 package push as update, skip updates-testing, otherwise
>   this gets even more painfull>
> <wait ...>
> <remind oneself must do make build in foo/FC-6 once F-7 package is build>
> <wait ...>
> <really must not forget to do make build in foo/FC-6 once F-7 package is build>
> <then finally, get the mail it is pushed, and then>
> [hans@...  FC-6] make build
>
> <or oops forgotten>
> <some time later, hey a bugzilla ticket why I never build foo for FC-6>
Ohh? I am permanently nagged with mails reminding me about EVR problesm
with packages between FC-6 and FC-7, because I can't push them for FC-7
because, I could not find them in bodhi.

> Please explain to me how that is an improvement in anyway?
eye-candy :-)

Ralf